[Wine] Trackmania NF 2.11.11 fails to start in Wine 1.1.28

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 7 17:51:52 CDT 2009

duncdum wrote:
> Many thanks for the input.
>
> Here are the requested pieces of info and results of trying the various suggestions:
>
> Wine's Windows version is set to XP.
>
> Copying the version of d3dx9_30.dll from Windows to
> ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
> had no effect.  (There was already a file of that name there, which I renamed before the copy.)  I also tried copying d3dx9_36.dll to the same directory, but similarly without effect.
>
> Running in terminal was more helpful and resulted in the following output:
> fixme:d3d_caps:wined3d_guess_vendor Received unrecognized GL_VENDOR "VIA Technology". Returning VENDOR_WINE.
> fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32ec40,0x00000000), stub!
> fixme:d3d_caps:wined3d_guess_vendor Received unrecognized GL_VENDOR "VIA Technology". Returning VENDOR_WINE.
> fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32ed04,0x00000000), stub!
> m Files\TmNationsForever\TmForeverLauncher.exe: main/renderbuffer.c:2153: _mesa_reference_renderbuffer: Assertion `oldRb->Magic == 0xaabbccdd' failed.
> wine: Assertion failed at address 0xb8025430 (thread 0009), starting debugger...
>
> >From the above it certainly seems like it could be a display driver problem.
>
> Graphics card is reported as:
> VIA Technologies Inc, KM400/KN400/P4M800 [S3 UniChrome] Rev01.

WOW!  That is ancient technology and probably will not do good (if any)
3D acceleration on Windows, let alone Linux/Wine.

I suggest getting a newer video card with good Linux drivers.  I would
start with nVidia and then look at AMD/ATI.  Lastly I would look at
Intel products.

The only reason I state to look in that order is due to the quality of
Linux drivers and their compatibility with what Wine demands of them.
nVidia has very good drivers, AMD/ATI has decent drivers and they are
dedicated to improving them.  Intel is giving Linux poor quality drivers
that mainly fail with Wine.  Other video cards are very questionable.

James McKenzie