[Wine] Problems with Directx

solidex wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Sep 12 07:07:11 CDT 2009

Ever since 1.1.27, I've been having problems with what I think is directx. I updated to 1.1.29 (I skipped .28) and I still get the same errors. I've tried using winetricks to install Directx9, but it doesn't do much to alleviate the problem. I've completely deleted my .wine folder and reinstalled 1.1.29 from scratch, but I still get the problem. I have the latest nVidia drivers installed, with Fedora 11 running OpenBox.

Below is a copy of what I see when I try to run Bookworm ADventures 2 in the terminal:

[solidex at kropotkin Bookworm Adventures Volume 2]$ wine Bookworm*
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory
err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo  couldn't initialize OpenGL, expect problems
err:d3d_caps:WineD3D_CreateFakeGLContext Can't find a suitable iPixelFormat.
err:d3d:InitAdapters Failed to get a gl context for default adapter
err:d3d_caps:WineD3D_CreateFakeGLContext Can't find a suitable iPixelFormat.
err:d3d:InitAdapters Failed to get a gl context for default adapter
err:d3d:WineDirect3DCreate Direct3D8 is not available without opengl
err:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_CreateSurface IDirectDrawImpl_AttachD3DDevice failed, hr = 8876086c
err:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_CreateSurface IDirectDrawImpl_AttachD3DDevice failed, hr = 8876086c
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_Release (0x13e490) Device released with resources still bound, acceptable but unexpected
fixme:d3d:dumpResources Leftover resource 0x141be8 with type 1,WINED3DRTYPE_SURFACE
fixme:d3d:dumpResources Leftover resource 0x141990 with type 1,WINED3DRTYPE_SURFACE
fixme:d3d:dumpResources Leftover resource 0x141848 with type 1,WINED3DRTYPE_SURFACE

When I try to run the game, the screen goes blank and acts like it's going to run; however, I get a little error box that says it cannot initialize directdraw.

When I try to run Day of the Zombie, I get th following:

ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory
fixme:process:GetProcessWorkingSetSize (0xffffffff,0x32f630,0x32f62c): stub
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 59 (SPI_SETSTICKYKEYS)
err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo  couldn't initialize OpenGL, expect problems
err:d3d_caps:WineD3D_CreateFakeGLContext Can't find a suitable iPixelFormat.
err:d3d:InitAdapters Failed to get a gl context for default adapter
err:d3d:WineDirect3DCreate Direct3D8 is not available without opengl

Also, I get a window that says:

No Label

OS: Windows XP 5.1 (Build: 2600)
CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 2993 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video: No Video

Please install DirectX 8.1b or later (see Release Notes for instructions on how to obtain it)