[Wine] Is This Really Legal?

dizzyPenguin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Sep 14 22:38:07 CDT 2009

I'm about to buy a new computer and give my old computer to my Mom.  Because I will giving my old computer to my mom, I will be loosing my Windows XP license.

I can either get a nice computer with a Windows Lincense or I can buy and really honking mega awesome computer without a Windows License.

Naturally, I would rather buy a "honking mega awesome computer" instaed of a "nice computer", but I do have a problem... I have a couple of programs that need MS Windows, these programs are:
1) Cubase Studio 5
2) Emulator X
3) Power Director 7
Unfortunatley, Steinberg, Cyberlink and Creative Labs aren't particularly interested in offereing Linux versions of their software.  This means I am stuck getting a Windows License and running possibly inferior software on my computer (MS Windows).

a) Creative Labs did try Linux for a while but they lost a lot of money on the deal.
b) Steinberg does support Apply OSX but Apples cost too much.

This brings me back to Linux, can I really run Wine Legally or is there something out there somewhere that says Microsoft, Steinberg and Cyberlink will come after us all if we modify their software or Wine to get them to work together.

Will Microsoft arrest me for TUI (Taboggining Under the Influence)?