[Wine] Serial Ports: busy?

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Sep 17 13:59:54 CDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 12:43 -0500, driveoldford wrote:
> I have several software packages for Windoz that provide for a
> phone/fax answering machine. In the newer wine, I can install, but
> cannot get access to the Com port. I have created the ln -s in
> dosdevices, and even did a chmod 777 on dev/ttyS0. The user is a
> member of groups associated w/ modems, dialout, etc.
>
> I always get "the port is being accessed by another program". I am
> stuck on two very different machines. Both run Open SuSe 11.0 Anyone
> solved this?

I had a similar problem with a WINE app that downloads files from a
logger. BTW, it applies to all programs, e.g. Kermit and minicom, as
well as WINE apps that are run by normal users. With current,
udev-based, kernels its necessary to reset the permissions
of /dev/ttyS[0-9] after every boot. I added a local rule file
to /etc/udev/rules.d:

$ cat 51-local.rules
#
# Locally defined rules.
#

#
# Give world read/write access to ttyS* and ttyUSB* serial devices
#
KERNEL=="tty[A-Z]*", GROUP="uucp", MODE="0666"
$

This works under Fedora 6 through Fedora 10. Under earlier releases it
was sufficient to add a line containing:

	chmod uga+rw /dev/ttyS*

to /etc/rc.d/rc.local so it got run at boot time, but IIRC this doesn't
work with UDEV since all the /dev/ttyS* devices are no longer created ar
boot time.

On Fedora 10 and WINE 1.1.23 this works with all real serial ports (I
have two on the mobo and another 4 on an IPC card) without needing to
add COMn: symlinks to the dosdevices directory. I have never been able
to access USB serial adapters from WINE, probably because they need
special Windows drivers.

Martin