[Wine] Re: Desktop resolution change after using Wine

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Sep 19 07:44:16 CDT 2009

yossarianuk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After using wine in a full screen game my desktop resolution goes to whatever resolution I was playing the game at when I finish using wine.
>
> How do i prevent this ?
>
> Cheers
>
> wine is awesome - just tried Tales of Monkey Island - they are giving the 1st chapter free today (its talk like a pirate day..) and it works fine - faster than real windows !!
>
> Specs:
> Arch Liunx amd64 - aur/bin32-wine 1.1.29-1
> Nvidia 8500 (latest stable driver)

Hello,

I don't know how to 'prevent' that (I believe the game may crash on exit and not change the resolution, though you would see a message onscreen if that were the case)). I do know how to reset your resolution back to normal.

You can do that with xrandr which has a '-s' option to set the 'size' (according to manpage) of the screen. You can use a size index or the resolution itself. Example:

Code:
xrandr -s 0 #Reset to index 0. This is what normally use
xrandr -s1280x1024 #Reset to this 'size'.

If you don't want to do this, my particular suggestion is that you run your game in an emulated desktop.

Cheers,

Jorl17