[Wine] New member - I have Xubuntu 9.04 and want to run Tesio Power

Cissi Nyblom & Håkan Pontén ponyproductionshb at yahoo.se
Sun Sep 20 13:36:42 CDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm Cissi from Sweden, I've just recently gone from Win 2000/XP to Linux (Xubuntu) and I love it! Will never go back!

My computer is quite special as it has a very tiny internal hard drive, only 10 GB. That causes some problems... I must really keep the installed programs at a minimum, recently I got lots of problems with that. To make it short - I had to go on a trip very urgently, I left my computer running with web browser open. When I came back four days later, my internal hard drive was at 100%. That caused me some trouble, I reinstalled Xubuntu and now it is much better. (I might add that I was visiting my mom to install Xubuntu on her system during those four days).

Anyway - right now I don't have Wine installed. Will install it soon again. I really want to keep the Wine-folder as small as possible considering my tiny hard drive.

I just love Linux and (X)ubuntu but there is one program that I can simply not live without and that only runs in Windows. So - I would love to get some help to get it to run in Xubuntu through Wine. I've used Winetricks (before reinstalling Xubuntu yesterday) and I assume that I will have to use it again.

I have three choices regarding this program, I know the developer very well and he is assisting me in every way he can. He has even installed Xubuntu on one of his computers but as far as I know he has not tried Wine or the program I want to use yet.

The program I want to use is Tesio Power. It is genealogy software for horses, there is a few other programs on the market but none is as good as Tesio. I have used it for 10 years or so. Web site: http://www.tesiopower.com/

I have an old version (that I have used with great joy until I changed to Xubuntu) called Tesio Power 2000 on a CD. That edition is about 10 years old, runs on old Win-versions up to XP but not Vista. Something like MS Access I think, my database is a .mdb-file.

I have also downloaded two demo-versions that I can use if I don't get the old TP2000 to work, these are the Thoroughbred editions of TesioPower 8 and Tesio Express. If I use these, I can not use my old database, I have to rebuild it (100.000 horses) but I am willing to do that - the important thing is that I can use the software.

As I understand it, the newer editions (TP8 and TesioExpress) use .NET which I am not that familiar with.

I really want this to work, I am very willing to put lots of time in this, but I must at the same time keep my tiny hard drive "healthy" (i.e. far from 100%). The developer of this program is very, very nice and I can get lots of support from him (he's been very helpful during the last 10 years). He is all new to Linux though and I can not expect him to work a lot on getting these programs to work in Wine. He'll definitely answer any questions I have though.

This program is tiny and I doubt there is a market for a Linux-version, I am probably the only one that has tried it in Linux. Even though it is no 1 in it's field ;).

So, any suggestions?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best wishes,
Cissi (in Sweden) http://www.sporthorse-data.com/

MVH/Our best regards
Cissi Nyblom & Håkan Pontén

http://www.ponyprod.com

Går det långsamt? Skaffa dig en snabbare bredbandsuppkoppling.
Sök och jämför priser hos Kelkoo.
http://www.kelkoo.se/c-100015813-bredband.html?partnerId=96914325