[Wine] New member - I have Xubuntu 9.04 and want to run Tesio Power

Cissi Nyblom & Håkan Pontén ponyproductionshb at yahoo.se
Mon Sep 21 08:10:31 CDT 2009

Hi Sven,

Thanks a lot for your input! I must ask, regarding your name, are you a fellow Swede? :)

As for the older version (Tesio 2000) I managed to get it to install and run before I had to reinstall my Xubuntu. I had to install some ActiveX stuff etc, but I managed to open it. In the program, there are different options like bringing up a 6-generation pedigree (failed, program crashed), 7-generation pedigree (worked), bring up tail male/female (worked) etc. I can also do various linebreeding/inbreeding calculations, never got to try these. Once these "windows" has been brought up, they can be exported as pdf/word/html which I have not tried yet. So - I really agree that it is probably easier with the older version (that runs Access-like stuff and uses .mdb). There is just one problem - since the software is so ancient (10 years or so), the developer has limited resources to help me out. He has been running and selling the newer versions for so many years now and they are so different. He use to have lists with necessary .dll-files, error codes etc
 but can't find them now.

Another thing is, that even if the newer versions would mean that I have to build up my database from scratch, I would be very happy if I could get one of these (preferably TP 8) to work in Wine. I'm happy with the old TP 2000 but I like the developer so much that I really want him to be able to say that it works in Wine. At the moment, it might not bring him a bunch of new customers, but as I think that Linux will grow I hope that it will increase his market in the future. After all, there aren't any pedigree evaluation programs for Linux and rarely anything for Mac. That regardless of quality and I really think that TP is the absolutely best one for Win in any case. So, I want to help him if I can. (And, of course, since TP 8 is a new program that is still on the market, the developer can help me much more).

In any case, it is very clear to me that I must upgrade my computer first of all. My tiny 10 GB hard drive is a big problem. It gets full so quick, and I have a feeling that the Wine/Winetricks software and .dll files are adding to that. I've just checked what it would cost, it's not much, but I must wait a little bit (weeks or maybe a month or so). I am not sure that I should install Wine just yet, maybe I should wait until I have a bigger hard drive?

Best wishes,

Cissi

MVH/Our best regards
Cissi Nyblom & Håkan Pontén