[Wine] Prevent a specific program to access internet

Cissi Nyblom & Håkan Pontén ponyproductionshb at yahoo.se
Mon Sep 21 08:15:04 CDT 2009

Vitamin,

I really like your advice :). I use Xubuntu and I am very new to Linux. As you've seen, I have a problem with a very tiny hard drive. I am thinking that I want to restrict everything in the Wine directory to access the internet (as soon as I've got my program running, that is). The program that I want to use has no need for internet access. Do you know if that is possible in Linux/Ubuntu/Xubuntu?

First of all, I must get a bigger hard drive though. :)

GNU_Raziel wrote:
> I want to know if there a way to prevent a program running under wine to access internet ?

No, you can't. Wine does not restrict programs from connecting to the Internet, unless it's a bug of course.

You'll have to do it externally with something like iptables. You'll need to setup a restricted user and configure so it's uid can not connect to the network. Then run whatever programs you don't want accessing Internet under that user.