[Wine] Re: C&C Red Alert 3

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Sep 23 19:13:39 CDT 2009

devourer09 wrote:
> Ok, I went into winecfg and under the audio tab, I only selected OSS and deselected ALSA.
>
> Then I did the aoss wine RA3.exe command and the splash screen came up and then after a bit it'll actually crash and close itself. Here's the console output:
>
> http://3427483278.pastebin.com/m3fea9a67
>
> This saddens me. :(

Taking a closer look, here's what is causing the crash:

> wine: Call from 0x7ee25673 to unimplemented function d3dx9_36.dll.D3DXCreateEffectEx, aborting

You need to get d3dx9_36.dll which is from Microsoft. Wine does not bundle it, nor implement it right now.

You can get it by using winetricks (be sure to be careful with licensing).

Winetricks (you can google it) is a nice script used to install some things. Some of them improve Wine, others trash it (they do tests) and others do a mix a both.

Basically, run this set of comands:

Code:

wget http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks #Get winetricks and store it in the current directory
sh winetricks d3dx9 #run the winetricks script and install d3dx9, which, I believe, provides d3dx9_36.dll

Tell us if it worked. After that, I'll PM you to get your sound working correctly with Wine (instead of using the lame OSS and aoss thing).

Cheers,

Jorl17