[Wine] Pulseaudio

Oli Warner oli at thepcspy.com
Sun Sep 27 05:29:05 CDT 2009

> Basically there is no reason to support pulseaudio either OSS out or ALSA
> out will do the job.

It's that sort of talk that makes using Wine so infuriating at times. Sure
for a good 80% of things, sure, you can pasuspend, aoss, padsp or some
combination of the three to get working audio.

But firstly, it's not the same for every application and that means that
every new application, you have to test different methods to get it working,
set up launchers, pay the wizard a visit and some distance down the road,
you finally have a working app. Yeah that's really great.

And for some applications (mainly those that run on top of Steam for me), no
combination appears to work. The only way I've made Steam work recently is
to disable audio, load Steam, re-enable audio and launch the game from
Steam. It's a bad joke.

The most infuriating part of all this is there is a patch here that provides
working audio under all circumstances without any additional set up. It's
not complete (input is a little raggled) but with a relatively small amount
of work it could provide working, fuss-free audio for the majority of Linux
desktop users.

I do agree that the current state of affairs means the Wine side of the
audio stack is far too complicated -- I really don't understand why there
can't be something better -- but if we're waiting for that eureka moment to
occur, people with PA systems are going to be waiting a long time.