[Wine] Re: Installing Wine on ubuntu 9.04

DaVince wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Sep 27 05:41:38 CDT 2009

NewtoLinux wrote:
> Ok, I did what you said and I googled a few bash tutorials and I got the idea of the cd command. I have the diablo II shortcut on my desktop. So I typed in
> Code:
> ls
>
> . I saw the Desktop in my directory and type in cd Desktop. Took me a long time to figure out the cd command is case sensitive.
>
> I then typed ls again. I Saw in my terminal:
>  Diablo II.Desktop
>  Diablo II - Lord of Destruction.lnk
>  Diablo II - Lord of Destruction.Desktop
>
> I then tried
> Code:
> wine "Diablo II"
>
> and I tried wine "Diablo II.desktop", wine "Diablo II.Desktop", wine "Diablo II.Desktop.exe etc. None of them worked. The terminal printed either bad exe format or Module not found. What gives and what do these error msgs mean?

.Desktop files are not .exe files. Wine will not be able to run them.

If you installed the game to for example C:\Program files\Diablo, you will have to cd to "~/.wine/drive_c/Program files/Diablo" (including double quotes) and run the exe from there. The ~ means your home directory by the way (/home/username).