[Wine] Star Wars Galaxies/appdb

tparker tparker at etherstorm.net
Sun Sep 27 11:04:23 CDT 2009

I haven't been able to get the appdb to let me log in for a couple weeks
so I will send this through the list/forum in case it is helpful to
anyone. I don't see a current post from a Fedora user on the appdb page
for the game:

Star Wars Galaxies:

What works -
Install, station launcher, game start, general game play (land and
space), interaction with NPCs and PCs, typed chat, updates to launcher,
updates to game, new character creation, item creation, character
transfers, collection of vet and other rewards, item placement and
positioning, mission terminals and mission completion, giving and
receiving buffs.

What does not work -
Outgoing voice chat. I can join voice channels fine and can hear the
other players in voice, but all they hear from me is static. The PPT key
registers and shows that I am in the channel and talking, but other
players just hear a burst of static when my button is pushed and
released. Wine is set to ALSA, pulse was uninstalled from the computer,
reinstalled Pulse to test using it and lost incoming voice chat so I
switched back to ALSA/no Pulse.

The Station Launcher icon that loads into the top right system tray
works, but has no text on it's menu entries. The missing features can
all be accessed through the Sony site instead of the launcher (account
management, etc.). The last menu entry (the space under the line at the
bottom of the menu) is to close down that launcher from running in the
system tray.

Work arounds needed -
I had to disable key repeat (from Linux desktop: Fedora
icon->system->preferences->keyboard). On install my character would only
move two steps at a time and I had to re-press the movement key every
two steps. Turning off key repeat fixed that.

My wine install already had font files transferred over from Windows
before I did this install, I do not know if any of those fonts were
needed to see install menus or not.

Install procedure-
Re-activated game at Sony Station site and then downloaded game, did not
have to do anything to my system or to wine to make the install work.
Update ran automatically after install with no errors.

System installed on -
Fedora Core 11 x86_64 (standard install from disk)
Wine 1.1.29 (installed from repository)
nVidia 9800gt card, 1G mem, driver version 185.18.36 (installed from
repository)
3G system RAM (limited from 5G)