[Wine] Re: Winecfg and application settings...

doh123 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Sep 28 15:35:39 CDT 2009

James McKenzie wrote:
> doh123 wrote:
>
> > more on my system if it helps anyone....
> >
> > running Wine 1.1.29 on Mac OS X 10.6 ... Wine built on this machine, not using default prefixes...
> >
> > launching exe's in oddball locations (inside .apps)... from inside the Wine bin folder thats also located inside the .app .. my coding finds the current locations and sets stuff right, also putting Wine in the path for that session... running Wine directly in the right directory by having it enter
> >
> > ./wine start /unix "$VARIABLEPATHTOEXE" > "$ANOTHERVARIABLE/log.txt" 2>&1 &
> >

> You should really change to the directory where the executable is and
> run it from there thusly:
>
> wine <program.exe> &
>
> This will pick up the settings for the program and run the program in a
> separate session.
>
> This should be possible from an Applescript (.app).
>
> James McKenzie

yes, but I have path problems doing this in a wrapper.

I have a custom "wine" script that fixes a lot of path problems then launches the real wine program i renamed to something else... i throw this inside of apps to make ports, so wine moves around to different locations... there were problems with people who had Wine installed on their system already, and it overriding the use of my Wine, so long story short, it ended up working better launching it from the Wine folder....

I'm not going to do that anymore, I'm going to do as you say and launch from the game folder, and rework my wine script to work better, it just seemed like a quick easy fix, and it is, until I need multiple apps with different configs in the same program ported .app .