[Wine] Re: wine takes up most of the CPU

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Sep 29 08:18:27 CDT 2009

mctiew wrote:
> I have started a wine application and after that the program has been terminated, but in the task list, it shows
>
> winemenubuilder takes up 63 % of CPU
> wineserver          takes up 33 % of CPU
>
> Why is that so ? ( I have no application running ).
>
> What is the way to terminate wine server, do I just kill it ?

What is the app? Did you close it normally, or did it crash? Are you sure the app itself is really terminated?

Wineserver should terminate when you terminate an app, but if there are other processes still running under Wine, they will keep it open. That happens sometimes when an app crashes, and some apps are meant to keep running in the background (the x button just closes the window, not the app). If those don't apply, then this shouldn't be happening.