[Wine] Re: Serial Ports: busy?

driveoldford wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Sep 29 16:20:48 CDT 2009

Martin:
Thanks for your continued interest and input.
Most of my effort is on the old Toshiba. This is a multi-boot machine w/ Win 2000,Open SuSe 11.0 and Knoppix, which is a debian distro.
This machine has one physical serial port.
In Knoppix, the ls command shows 4 serial ports.
Wine, in Knoppix, is showing the same non-functioning with the software as was the case w/ SuSe 11.0
Just to be sure, I attempted to install all 3 commercial packages that I have. Same result. The software does not seem to properly capture the serial port. W/ communicate Pro (not a very good package) the software claimed that it did, in fact, connect w/ the proper serial port ( a success message) - but - nothing really worked at all and I had to terminate w/ a kill command.
I can tell you that this is an embarrassment for me since one of our business lines is to convert people to linux! But the "answering/fax machine" is running on Windoz!
Regards, FXS