[Wine] Re: Pulseaudio

oiaohm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Sep 29 18:51:31 CDT 2009

Vitamin is right OliWarner.   Lot less applications work with Pulseaudio driver for wine than using   http://userweb.kernel.org/~tj/ossp/ to send the wine oss driver up into Pulseaudio.   Basically there is no point to the pulseaudio driver since there are other ways to get better results.

Gstreamer is currently being worked on being added to add codec support to wine direct show support.  It also why its advisable if wine goes any way to be gstreamer.   Gstreamer will already become a dependency to do other tasks so swaping sound system to gstreamer would allow droping dependancies not adding any.

Currently the codec support is the most critical thing for wine to get from Gstreamer.  This is number of applications working thing.  The developer working on the codec support has interest in developing a low level sound out for the simple issue.  If all sound is going threw Gstreamer it can manage it avoiding broken audio.

Gstreamer is design to allow it to be able to be shipped in distribution or out of distribution so for a LSB application if had version problem wine could ship own.

Personally I hate Pulseaudio.  To my mind resource management is the job of the Kernel.   X11 made this same mistake of managing resources in user space to stack so problems.  The kernel can enforce the only 1 management system that can not be bypassed.   What happens if something connects to audio out before pulseaudio yep no sound.  Pulseaudio design has the same flaw of all sound servers the bipass and screwed issue.

I am not saying that Pulseaudio interfaces are bad.  Design is bad it connected in the wrong place.