[Wine] Mailing list bounce issues

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Sep 30 15:15:24 CDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 19:59 +0200, Gert van den Berg wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 14:39, DaVince <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> > You're mentioning excessive bounces... Are spambots perhaps sending tons of spam to the mailing list, faking your address?
> >
> Seem unlikely... (I have received a bit of spam to my bugzilla /
> wine-devel address....) (I use Google Apps and try to use a different
> address for each purpose...)
>
> It might be that spam with a fake from address of
> wine-users at winehq.org is bouncing... But I would expect them to show
> up in my spam folder...

I've noticed a steady stream of spam on the users list more or less ever
since I've been a member. I think I joined in early March 2009 and
started seeing spam around the 20th of that month. Since ther there's
been enough of it persuade me to write some dedicated Spamassassin rules
to trap it. A lot of it appears to be injected via the forum interface.

IMO it would be a good idea to feed all input (SMTP as well as forum)
through SA before sending it to the mailing list or posting it to the
forum. Anything that is flagged as spam should be simply discarded.

Martin