[Wine] frame/graphics lag in microsoft Freelancer

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Thu Apr 1 17:05:08 CDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 23:44, Basinator <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> I guess I wasn't clear enough by myself,
> this (http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=41849#41849) wasn't with POL but with the normal wine.

Sorry, the (probably) winetricks registry settings messages had me
thinking that they were from POL.

> (The tutorial is also about wine and not PlayOnLinux)
> But as far I have understand you POL also changes the way how wine normally works (plus I also used winetricks....). So what do I have to do exactly to get a "clean wine"? I also fear that Warcraft III won't work then anymore if all things I changed with wine are getting undone (results in crashes while saving the game in warcraft III, battle.net/multiplayer problems and so on....)
Install each appication in its own WINEPREFIX See
http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/WINEPREFIX That seperates their
settings completely

> So shall I just re-try the winetricks thingy?

Try it first without winetricks after clearing out WINEPREFIX (Or
using a different WINEPREFIX)

That tutorial just seem to try overwriting the maximum amount of
things (there is no way that all that can be needed) with Microsft's
version. This ends in basically parts of Microsoft's DirectX, etc.
being run within wine, ussually resulting in more problems than it
solves. (The appdb HOWTO probably needs a proper redo...) (winetricks
directx9 should almost never be used, and it is unlikely to need ALL
the msxml versions...)

Post output. (It will probably crash the first time) Copy and paste
the messages given from a crash to a post.

Gert

Suggested command for setting WINEPREFIX (# starts a comment and can be ignored)
######## things need correct paths and filenames of course
######## This needs to be run in each terminal window before any wine
/ winetricks commands to work. (It is only needed once per window
though...)
export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-freelancer # sets the variable. run this in
each terminal window before running any wine commands related to
freelander
rm -rf ~/.wine-freelander # to clear it out before testing new things.
Only run to restart testing
# To install
cd /where/setup/is
wine setup.exe # or whatever it is called
# to run it for testing
cd ~/.wine-freelander/drive_c/"Program Files/where gam is installed" #
quote things containing spaces. Press tab occationally to save typing
wine game.exe # to run game