[Wine] X11 (Mac) graphics problem

John Keel wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Apr 1 19:49:18 CDT 2010

Running OS X 10.6.3 on an Intel Mac (processors "2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo", memory "3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM) and the newest version of Wine accessible through MacPorts.
Hey. A little while ago, I was having trouble installing wine. I eventually managed to install with MacPorts. Everything was going fine until today, when the program I actually wanted to run (Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01) was finally released. I open Terminal (I can't find wine with a right click) and cd to /Users/MYNAME/Downloads/df_31_01 (the uncompressed folder). I enter "wine dwarfort.exe (the file) and get the following message in terminal: fixme:wave:wodDsCreate DirectSound not implemented
fixme:wave:wodDsCreate The (slower) DirectSound HEL mode will be used instead.
fixme:wave:AudioUnit_SetVolume independent left/right volume not implemented (1.000000, 1.000000)
fixme:wave:wodDsCreate DirectSound not implemented
fixme:wave:wodDsCreate The (slower) DirectSound HEL mode will be used instead.
err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found 800x300x32 @0! (NoRes)
fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_ActivateKeyboardLayout 0x4090409, 0000: semi-stub!
fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_ActivateKeyboardLayout 0x4090409, 0000: semi-stub!
fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_ActivateKeyboardLayout 0x4090409, 0000: semi-stub!

Meanwhile, X11 returns
"Mode Switch Failed.
Running In Windowed Mode."

It then ignores my display settings (modified in df_31_01 after I first opened the program, if it matters) in init.txt, a file in a subfolder of df_31_01 that controls preferences. It does apply other changes, just not display size. I've tried resizing the window (with applescript, I am slightly less useless than with terminal while using it) but I can't figure out the syntax, and X11 won't allow manual resizing (the game won't allow it through dragging until the merge with a graphics update that was being developed simultaneously).
Anyways, if anyone could wade through that morass of parentheses, help?