[Wine] Microsoft Office 2003 Pro for several users

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Mon Apr 5 03:38:18 CDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 08:00, fdelente <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Yes, I know that every user has to have his registry; however, when I install Word in Windows, some keys must be created in the registry that allow every user to use Word without having installed it himself.

In Windows HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is shared and needs administrator access
to modify, while HKEY_CURRENT_USER can be modified by the user and
each user has its own copy.

In Wine the entire registry is kept in the Wine-prefix and can only be
accessed by one user. This eliminates the need for root access which
wouod have made Wine a huge security issue and it is probably easier
to implement...

Gert