[Wine] Re: Problem with a Win95 application

Ed Davies wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Apr 15 14:25:57 CDT 2010

I'm the author of some of the EW software:

1. EWView/DOS

This, as its name implies is a 16-bit DOS program written originally in Zortech C++ but converted to fairly early on to Microsoft C++.  I wrote this and have tried it under Wine.  It doesn't work which doesn't terribly surprise me as the program's own code and the libraries it uses are fairly low level in their access to the screen (fishing around in BIOS locations, as I recall).

2. EW Windows Uploader

This is a 32-bit Windows program written in Microsoft C++ which I also wrote.  When I tried it under Wine it ran OK but had problems accessing the serial port.  I was trying it with a USB-to-serial adaptor and have a vague recollection of setting up the mapping of the Wine DOS device to the /dev/ttyUSB<n> device but didn't get beyond that.

3. EWView II and EWView III

These were written in VB (VB 4 initially, I think) by somebody else.  I'm very unfamiliar with them but believe they remained 16-bit applications throughout their lives.

The only substantial point I can answer is

> However, the two programs almost certainly use different support libraries and may have other internal changes too...

to confirm that EW Windows Uploader and the EWView II or III programs are completely separate and use different support libraries, etc.