[Wine] Re: Correct wrong character set?

cnbiz850 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Apr 16 20:39:38 CDT 2010

DaVince wrote:
> If your file is not actually written in any sort of normal text format, it wouldn't write any CR/LF line encodings either as those are special characters in the ASCII (and base Unicode) character set.
>
> Unless the resulting file will be a binary file with some internal ASCII/Unicode strings for the text...

Understood.

Maybe I should put it this way.  The script I edit is a formated language (like C).  Before it can be executed, the Windows program - by using its provided editor - somehow processes/compiles it into its needed proprietary file format.  I think at the time of the processing/compiling, it checks the ASCII text I put in and verifies that it is in the legal format.  So that is when it complains about the CRLF related problem.

Through our discussion here, I take it that because I run the Windows program through Wine, the newline character I type in is a LF rather than the required CRLF, then the program complains about it.  Guess I am more and more inclined that Wine should take the responsibility in putting in the right newline character.

Think about how the LF character get into the editor of my Wine'd program.  When I type 'Enter', it is interpreted as a LF character by Linux and the LF is then passed to Wine, Wine then pass it down to the editor.  In this process, the CR required in Windows is nowhere to be generated, and so the editor complains when it tries to process/compile the script.  Is this the right thinking?