[Wine] WINE not communicating with unixODBC

Darragh Bailey felix at compsoc.nuigalway.ie
Wed Apr 21 06:22:15 CDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 02:49:48PM -0500, Razorwings18 wrote:
> UPDATE!
>
> hellork, it seems you were pointed in the right direction.
> Today I run a $ WINEDEBUG=odbc wine myprogram and got the
> following output when trying to connect through ODBC.
>
> warn:odbc:ODBC_LoadDriverManager failed to open library
> "/usr/lib/libodbc.so.1.0.0": /usr/lib/libodbc.so.1.0.0: wrong
> ELF class: ELFCLASS64

<snipage>

> I am guessing what that means is that libodbc.so.1.0.0 is
> 64-bit, but WINE needs it to be 32-bit?
>
> At least now I know what the problem is, but I don't know where
> to go from here. Any ideas? Has anyone successfully used
> WINE+unixODBC in an AMD64 system?

I believe you need to install the 'ia32-libs' package, or at least
that's what it is called on Ubuntu 8.04. I imagine that it's the same
on Debian Lenny, but I can't confirm.

Try 'apt-get install ia32-libs' on the command line, that should install
a number of 32bit libraries, including /usr/lib32/libodbc.so.1.0.0,
although I have to admit some surprise that wine is working at all
if this package isn't installed.

In fact a quick 'apt-cache show wine' output includes the following:
Depends: binfmt-support (>= 1.1.2), ia32-libs (>= 1.6)

So I would have thought that the correct 32bit odbc library would have
already been installed on your system.

Checking the wine_1.1.35~winehq1-1_amd64.deb package up on winehq, it
looks to me like it's built to use the ia32 libraries. Perhaps you
installed the wine_1.1.35~winehq1-1_i386.deb package on the amd64
system, and that doesn't know about the ia32-libs package, and thus that
was installed on your system by default?

--
Darragh

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."