[Wine] Noob but old, trying to run ACDSee

RayTheRat wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Apr 24 07:27:14 CDT 2010

I'm an old guy who's been around computers since the late 60s.  My experience with *nix, however has been very limited.  Nonetheless, I've found Windoze 7 to be too buggy to continue bashing my head against.

Right now I'm testing Ubuntu 10.x beta with Gnu GUI shell (this may be my problem, but I'm not sure...and I can revert to 9.x if needed) and attempting to find a way to run my mainstream applications (since retiring from the computer industry, I've become a freelance photographer) like ACDSee and Corel PaintShop Photo Pro under Wine.

I have Wine installed and it runs Notepad just fine.  But when I try to run ACDSee, I get the wait icon for maybe 14 seconds and then it goes away without any error message or indication of failure and ACDSee doesn't even attempt to start.

Again, I'm relatively new to Wine (and although I've run a web server on linux for many years, I. far from being an expert.  I can fumble through doing whatever is required to keep the server running, but that's about it.

So I'd appreciate any insight into this problem...like if there's a log that can tell me why the program didn't start or something I need to do in addition to setting the executable bit (which I've done.)

Thanks,

Ray the Rat