[Wine] Re: AudioToolbox version too old

doh123 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Apr 28 20:43:10 CDT 2010

Ryan Woodsmall wrote:

> No, this is not something called a regression.  And all Intel Macs can run Leopard or Snow Leopard; Apple started shipping Intel machines in January 2006, stopped shipping new PowerPC Macs in August 2006, and Leopard came out in October 2007.  10.5 and 10.6 have now been out longer than the entire PowerPC to Intel transition PLUS the time only Tiger was available on Intel Macs.  Tiger's dead.

for Wineskin I have it run on 10.4+ ... I'm going to try to keep 10.4 support as long as its possible, so every Intel build of Mac OS X can run it... I wouldn't mind killing off support, but early beta builds were 10.5+ and I got a ton of requests for 10.4... and I had to restructure and put OS dependent code in some places to even handle it, but its working good now.  I'm putting together a build environment and build script so anyone can take a wine source and make a build that will work in Wineskin... and for now keeping the 10.4 support is a good thing.  Performance wise, I've tried 10.5 and 10.6 builds and they don't seem to perform any better or different, so it hasn't been worth it to kill off 10.4 support... but it will happen since Xquartz is stopping 10.4 support and newer builds are having issues.

Ryan Woodsmall wrote:

> If you're building against the 10.4 SDK, it's probably exactly what it appears to be; i.e., the AudioToolbox API is too old on Tiger.  From there's an ifdef in dlls/winemp3.acm that basically short circuits the checks on CoreAudio/AudioToolbox if you have valid mpg123 headers installed:
>
> You can probably use mpg123 (if you can get it to build against the 10.4 SDK) to provide MP3 decoding support:

so mpg123 will totally override this error?  Thats probably why it works fine... MP3s are playing fine on the build that gives the error on all versions of the OS, but I am using mpg123 in it already.... so thats probably why the error is causing no actual problems.  I was just curious.

thanks!