[Wine] Hi + question.

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 4 11:48:02 CDT 2010

bigseb wrote:
> dimesio wrote:
>
>> bigseb wrote:
>>
>>> I never really bothered with Wine but the other day I thought why not try it and installed Alibre Design V12.1. It seemed to install ok but won't start. My question is: Why won't it run? I'm trying understand how functionality behind it in the sense that perhaps there are settings one can tweak.
>>>

>> We need more information. What version of Wine? If it's older than 1.2, upgrade. If it doesn't work in 1.2 or later, run it from a terminal and post whatever messages appear. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#run_from_terminal
>>

> Here is the terminal output:
>
> sebastian at sebastian-laptop:~$ wine start 'C:\Program%Files\Alibre%Design\Program\Alibre%Design.exe'
> fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
> Application could not be started, or no application associated with the specified file.
> ShellExecuteEx failed: Path not found
>
> Wine was installed justa few days ago via synaptic. It said it was version 1.2 but I can't the documentation...

In Linux a spact is not marked using %20 but rather a backslash followed
by a space '\ '.  However, to start a program in Wine it is best to use:

[code]

cd $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Alibre\ Design\Program
wine 'Alibre Design.exe'

[/code]

If you want a logging file (highly recommended)

[code]

wine 'Alibre Design.exe' > design.log 2>&1

[/code]

All of the above is explained in the Wine FAQ at

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#run_from_terminal

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log

James McKenzie