[Wine] Re: 64-bit chess engines and wine 1.2

MaxM wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Aug 8 11:32:04 CDT 2010

James McKenzie wrote:
> As it was said before the WindowsOnWindows engine still needs work.  Are
> you able to run other 32 bit programs from the 64 bit version of Wine?
>
> Right now, you will need a 64 bit and a 32 bit installation of Wine and
> separate Wine prefixes for both.

Yes, other 32-bit (chess) programs run well!

As mentioned, the six 32-bit and 64-bit chess engines (Hannibal, Houdini & Rybka), worked with Suse 11.3. You can test it easy yourself .. just download (links in my first post), unzip and start the *.exe in terminal with wine. Then type "uci" and you get some program info. Type "go" for calculating a move from the start position and "quit" to exit.

BTW, the 32-bit Chessbase download version Deep Fritz 12 (http://www.chessbase.com/products/deepfritz12/index.asp) installed without any probem!  :D Unfortunately the gui looks a bit scrambled, but it works too (almost).  :?

-Max