[Wine] Re: [1.2]StarCraft 2 - Very Slow On Good Computer?

Ema wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Aug 8 12:38:52 CDT 2010

torturedutopian wrote:
> I do use Pulseaudio too with no problem. (I just add to install the backports alsa modules because my audio chipset was not supported properly with the default drivers -- which could cause issues such as : no alsa audio at the same time as pulse audio, etc).

I use a USB mic+headphones with PA.
For some strange reason sometime when I start my pc it happens (like 1%) that sound components (motherboard and USB) aren't found.
I tried running SC2 without audio basically and I had like 70% more FPS!
I know it's weird, but with any video setting I had a lot more FPS (like 30 FPS with Ultra mode in full HD)...

That's why I'm suspecting that with Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit something is different with PA...

My fear is that main renderer thread in SC2 somehow tries to sync with sound thread (if sound rendering is multithreaded btw) and as seen as that thread maybe is waiting to 'publish' sound and might not be async, it does stall the renderer thread, thus lowering FPS a lot.

What do you think?

Cheers,