[Wine] Wine folder wrong

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 8 19:14:38 CDT 2010

Artista wrote:
> I keep getting this error
>
> [Image: http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o83/Ladydragon1976/Linux/wine_error.jpg ]
>
> I am using opensuse 11.3 and I had Yast2 install it for me. and it puts .wine under my home folder "/home/jennifer/.wine/"and does not write it to the Doc folder. Is there any way in KDE 4.4 to change the path for that. I tried right clicking it but no option there to do anything about it. New to linux.

The default directory is $HOME/.wine.  You can use the WINEPREFIX
environment variable to put your Wine user folder anywhere you want.
You will have to either remember this or you can edit the user profile
file to make it permanent.  Use of this variable is described in the
Wine FAQ at http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ

> Also trying to get WoW to run, but dies at login screen. Movie intro plays great I have the new ati catalyst 10.7 installed and working fine.

You might want to backlevel to ATI Catalyst 10.5, if your card is
supported.
> Dual boot of windows 7 also if I need to grab .dll files or what not from there to easly.

Not recommended.  Using .dll files from Windows can cause problems.  I
recommend using winetricks to install packages that are needed.  World
of Warcraft hints and tricks are located in our Applications Database at:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=17421

This game is rated Platinum, which means that it installs and runs on
Wine 1.3.0 without any modifications.

With your problem description, it appears that you have video driver issues.

However and to confirm, can you run WoW from a terminal, create a
logging file and post it to a site like pastebin.com so we can look at it?

Instructions:

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log

James McKenzie