[Wine] Re: Running MetaTrader 4 in Wine

forex12345 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Aug 10 03:30:46 CDT 2010

James McKenzie wrote:
> forex12345 wrote:
>
> > I got metatrader to work but when I shut it down and try to log back in I can not do so and have to completely reinstall metatrader with a new demo account.   Luckily I'm using a demo at this point but would like to use in live trading.
> >
> > My problem is it doesn't save my last login in information and even if I write it down there is no server in the server window.   In other words everything is blanked out where you would normally log on.  So if I enter my log on information I can't get it to run anyway because server is blanked out.  I've tried this on many forex brokers and the result is always the same.
> >
> > The only way I can get it to run is download metatrader again and open a new demo everytime but this is too inconvenient to do in daily practice but I have got it to work in real time as long as I don't shut it down.   Any suggestions - anyone else have this problem?  Please I have to get this working.
> >

> Look in the Applications Database
> (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2893) and
> see what others have done to get the program working.
>
> James McKenzie

I feel like a fool for asking now.  I think my mistake can be attributed to using a shortcut to run it.  I haven't had a problem with it if I open the application through the wine directory.   Even though I was giving the option to open with wine with the shot-cut it apparently doesn't work properly.  So the simple fix was to find the exe in wine and run with wine.

There are some other issues that I have encountered  so your link might help.  Currently some of the graphics in the custom indicators I use don't display as they were intended.  For instance some dot's in indicator windows show up as a different graphic.   Thanks again I will check out that link next.