[Wine] Questions about bug reporting for DX10 games

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 15 09:41:27 CDT 2010

Das Letzte Einhorn wrote:
> In this forum post : http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=9260 , it has been suggested that we test DX10 games and that we report issues.
>
> However, with only about 5% of the entire implementation done, we can expect a lot of things to not work properly. Hence, I was wondering how would it be best to proceed with reporting. Is it recommended to test with winetricks d3dx10, or clean wine? What should we be looking for in our logs?
>
> I have 4-5 DX10 games which I can test, therefore having a clear method could help me and others to report what the devs need.

Since I'm the one that suggested this:

1.  Check the changelog that comes with each release (in the ANNOUNCE
file).

2.  If there is a fix for DirectX10 functionality, run your programs.
If something that worked, doesn't file a regression bug and expect to be
asked to do a regression test.

3.  If the new function does NOT work, advise the developers on the
wine-devel list that the function does not work in program XYZ.  There
may be more that needs to be done.  Again, expect to be asked to file a
bug report with an ATTACHED terminal log file.

4.  This should be one of the criteria for Wine 1.4.  Making
productivity programs and games work well is one of this project's goals....

James McKenzie