[Wine] The .dll files

jordan johnston triplesquarednine at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 17:08:24 CDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 5:12 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have heard that there are some .dll files in wine that are faster than the ones in windows, i have a dual booting vista and ubuntu system, and i have a server that i'm looking to turn into a gaming pc, but i'm not going to buy another copy of windows, so i have installed ubuntu onto it, and am going to import the .dll files from windows, each and every one of them, but since there are some .dll files in wine that are faster than the windows ones, i obviously don't want to overwrite them just to use a slower .dll file. So i have to ask, which .dll files are faster in wine than in windows?

I don't think the .dll's are faster. I think the case maybe that wine
is smaller than windows, and the odd application, may OR may not, run
faster. But as far as gaming goes: "no way jose!". there is still a
level or two of emulation in wine, in particular - slow GFX. You will
not get better performance running games in wine.
Even if you were a "linux-superstar", building a "custom gentoo-gaming
box". using say "longene", which
would probably speed things up, although is very questionable code
from China, that moves wineserver into the kernel, but it still wont
be the same as using your games under windows,
as far as speed, FPS, stability and reliability...

> Wine is not designed to run this way. Some dlls need to be properly
> installed. Others will not work at all on wine. It's better to use the
> builtin wine dlls and then if needed use winetricks to properly
> install microsoft dlls.

Also, i would add that it is handy to use the "profiles" in winecfg -
to set where you need specific .dll overrides.
using the profiles, you will be able to not have "global .dll
overrides", but instead have them for specific individual apps/games.
which can be very useful, indeed. You can find tips in WineAppDB, for
various .dll /  frameworks / libraries, that a given game may require
and often installation tips, too.

jordan