[Wine] Can't install program from CDROM / DVD

Cosmo Lee cosmolee at cosmolee.com
Mon Aug 16 21:11:05 CDT 2010

Thanks dimesio for the link - that was indeed the issue - the DVD needed to be mounted with the "norock" option!

>http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=5912

>Most likely incorrectly mastered CD or even worse - intentionally broken (for any platform using/supporting Rock Ridge extension).

>Try mounting with 'norock' option.

For some reason - I still don't understand exactly why - the subdirectories were not visible when Ubuntu mounted the DVD.  Ubuntu automatically mounted
the DVD as a udf file system.

$ mount
/dev/sr0 on /media/cdrom0 type udf (ro,nosuid,nodev,utf8,user=cosmo)

However, on Ubuntu at least, the udf file system does not support the "norock" option.  I had to unmount the DVD then re-mount as an iso9660 file system
which does support "norock" on Ubuntu.

$ sudo mount -t iso9660 -o norock /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom

FYI for anybody else: this was a multi-DVD install, so I ran the install program from a directory outside of the DVD file system so that I could unmount
the current install DVD and swap in another.  Each time the installation asked for a new DVD I unmounted the current DVD, inserted the next installation
DVD, which then got auto-mounted by Ubuntu, again as a "udf" file system.   I again unmounted the DVD, then re-mounted as "iso9660" file system with the
previously mentioned command line, before clicking to proceed from the installation program.  I'm sure there is a more efficient way to do this, but
that's how I did it.

Thanks to all who helped with suggestions...Cosmo

On Fri Aug 13  9:23 , "dimesio"  sent: