[Wine] Game is slower 2x than on Windows

jordan johnston triplesquarednine at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 09:21:15 CDT 2010

Hi Mitar,

> Thanks for tips tho ...
> I was trying ALL these ( to increase fps ) ...
> I posted on forums here , when was out of options.
> Was also trying CrossOver Games but had same fps as on normal wine.
> So I think will have to unfortunely agree that :
>> Windows games works the best on Windows ...

I wouldn't expect crossover to perform better than wine, with tweaking
i would actually think (depending)
that you might get better performance out of wine. Wine has newer bug
fixes, and supports as much or more software than CX. as wine is
developed faster than CX.

I think CrossOver, just makes installing certain software easier, and
the apps are handled slightly differently.
I bought it a couple of years ago for Mac.  I now use wine on my Mac,
and of course, on all of my linux machines.

Some games, you should be able to get "decent" FPS out of them. But,
by decent, i still mean slower than windows. decent = 15% loss in FPS.

I use wine for pro-audio stuff. this is lucky for me, as it works very
well. but, if i was a gamer, i would have a hard time swallowing the
15-30% loss in graphic acceleration. Native Linux games are much
faster, and there are far better tweaks for linux, if your focus is
gaming. We just need to see that market expand, and good titles being
available for linux.

jordan