[Wine] Game is slower 2x than on Windows

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 19 10:25:17 CDT 2010

Mitar <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>Sent: Aug 19, 2010 7:30 AM
>To: wine-users at winehq.org
>Subject: [Wine]  Re: Game is slower 2x than on Windows
>

>jordan johnston wrote:
>>
>> Some games, you should be able to get "decent" FPS out of them. But,
>> by decent, i still mean slower than windows. decent = 15% loss in FPS.
>>
>> I use wine for pro-audio stuff. this is lucky for me, as it works very
>> well. but, if i was a gamer, i would have a hard time swallowing the
>> 15-30% loss in graphic acceleration.
>>

>heh for Istaria and Linux it is 50-60 % performance decrease ...

There are games that actually run BETTER under Linux/Wine and there are games that don't run at all.

If the game you are playing has an opengl option, use it.  Performance will be better.

If the game you are playing uses only DirectX, performance will suffer until a DirectX engine for Linux is developed (and I really don't expect that anytime soon.)  Otherwise, all DirectX calls have to be translated into opengl calls, passed to the OpenGL engine of your video card and then put on the screen.  This takes time and depending on video card drivers and GPU, lots of time and resources.  Right now nVidia seems to have the best drivers and GPU combination.  Intel the worst (and their GPUs are not 'gamer' material anyway.)  So, performance will suffer and your fps and detail levels will have to drop, for now.

In most cases, gamers are happy that their favorite game will run in Linux/Wine AT ALL.  Performance will improve over time as more and more features are added and code is enhanced/improved.

James McKenzie