[Wine] Is Wine intended to support DRM?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 21 22:11:10 CDT 2010

leoplan2 wrote:
> James McKenzie wrote:
>
>> leoplan2 wrote:

>>> ok, is it possible (or difficult) to implement support for some DRM in Wine?. I say this because I'm thinking to support Netflix under Linux, using a hacked version of Wine (w/full support of Silverlight 4) and a Web Client, like a Web Application.
>>> I'm not trying to break the PlayReady DRM :P
>>>

>> One thing is doesn't Netflix provide Linux support?  If not, I would be
>> asking for it.
>>
>> I'll step in and state that Windows DRM appears to be patented.  Now,
>> that being said, there is nothing that prevents building experimental
>> code to support DRM but it will be a lengthy work (if you doubt this,
>> take a look at the progress on DIB in bugzilla.)
>>
>> Right now, Wine does not support DRM and I don't expect to see it
>> anytime soon.
>>
>> James McKenzie
>>

> Ok. Thanks! As soon as posible, I'll try to get some experimental code in order to support Silverlight 4 under Wine.

Good luck.  Silverlight may be checking for a legal Windows
installation.  We cannot duplicate that by copywrite/patent law(s).  You
might want to read the End User License Agreement as well.  It may
prohibit installation on non-Windows systems (M$ has gone to this.)
>  I think I'll hire some developers and hackers to do this :P. Thanks

If you have success, please advise.  Remember, this project only can
accept code created in a 'clean-room' (white) engineering environment.
There are legal reasons for this and we don't want to run afoul of the
legion of lawyers M$ has.

James McKenzie