[Wine] Re: Launching Source engine games results in crash, small res

DarksideEE7 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Aug 22 03:07:52 CDT 2010

Well I started to search the AUR for older Catalyst versions and realized that they only have the latest version(s)....so the only way to run an old version would be to run the installation script from AMD's site.  I try to stay away from installing the more important system packages without pacman, clyde, or makepkg.

I may see if I can at least get Portal to launch on my laptop with *gasp* an Intel 4500MHD.....maybe that will help narrow it down.

ironzorg wrote:

> > Well I didn't mean the distro, but is that the kernel you're on? I didn't think Ubuntu updated that fast......
>

> As I said, I updated my kernel 2.6.32-24-generic (it was a security update), and before that update I could run any Source game fine (HL 2 and CSS).
>
> I use the 10.7 Catalyst drivers.
>

> > ironzorg at Aurelia:~$ lspci | grep -i vga
> > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3650
>

> > ironzorg at Aurelia:~$ fglrxinfo
> > display: :0.0  screen: 0
> > OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
> > OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
> > OpenGL version string: 3.3.10057 Compatibility Profile Context FireGL
>

> I insist on the fact that I only updated the kernel, and suddenly hl2.exe became to crash after a couple seconds I run it.

Interesting.  I don't have a lot of experience with configuring my system for gaming in Linux because I've never really play games on my systems with Linux.  However I would like to get it working with my desktop for Starcraft at least.

TBH these Source games were just going to be a point of testing until my copy of starcraft arrives.  I wouldn't mind playing some TF2 though.