[Wine] Re: Wine 1.2 IE8

schulte3 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Aug 23 16:17:47 CDT 2010

James Mckenzie wrote:
> Diogo Branco <diogobranco at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Sent: Aug 23, 2010 4:25 AM
> > To: wine-users at winehq.org
> > Subject: [Wine] Wine 1.2 IE8
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > i have setup Wine 1.2 with winetricks on Ubuntu lucid 32 bits machine.
> > I want to install ie8, i have read this tutorial
> > "http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-reviews/microsoft/internet-explorer-8-on-linux-with-wine.html"
> > the installation was successful, but when i run iexplorer the explorer
> > opens dont display any page and then freezes dont know why, can some
> > one help me solve this?
> >

> This is why WE do not support third party scripts/how-tos and other 'trash'.
>
> IE8 WILL NOT WORK WITH WINE.  There are too many dll dependencies for now.
>
> You learned this lesson the hard way, sorry.  You will have to start all over again and install IE7 through winetricks this time.
>
> James McKenzie

IE8 works mostly fine for me. I cannot use the search bars at all but setting google as the homepage is a nice workaround for that. If you're purely using it for testing purposes it works fine.

To the OP, I followed the exact guide you did. However, I installed IE6, then IE8 (both through winetricks) because of a comment made in a test result for IE8 in the AppDB. After installing both through winetricks and adding any necessary DLL overrides from the tutorial I just switched the names of the .exe's in the ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Internet Explorer to have IE6's .exe (the one in caps) to something different, and IE8's to iexplore.exe. For my version of wine, 1.2, I didn't have to download the additional DLLs from winetricks that the tutorial suggests.

As for the log you provided, I can not give any specific help to you but I do encourage you to seek a way to make things work if you want to. There's no reason you can't mess around with things and try. As a back up you may decide to use IE7 instead, but if you want to use IE8 give it a shot!

Best of luck.