[Wine] Re: Wine 1.2 IE8

DanKegel wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Aug 24 07:59:49 CDT 2010

schulte3 wrote:

> IE8 works mostly fine for me. I cannot use the search bars at all but setting google as the homepage is a nice workaround for that. If you're purely using it for testing purposes it works fine.
>
> To the OP, I followed the exact guide you did. However, I installed IE6, then IE8 (both through winetricks) because of a comment made in a test result for IE8 in the AppDB. After installing both through winetricks and adding any necessary DLL overrides from the tutorial I just switched the names of the .exe's in the ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Internet Explorer to have IE6's .exe (the one in caps) to something different, and IE8's to iexplore.exe. For my version of wine, 1.2, I didn't have to download the additional DLLs from winetricks that the tutorial suggests.

That's interesting.  Winetricks ie8 really does install ie8 (James is
mistaken), but the installed ie8 doesn't work.  If you've gotten it
working, then maybe we can fix winetricks ie8 to do the same thing
you did.

Since you mentioned installing ie6, then ie8, I tried doing
  winetricks ie6 ie8
but the resulting ie8 just sits there.  How does that differ from what you
did?