[Wine] Re: Wine 1.2 IE8

schulte3 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Aug 24 15:03:32 CDT 2010

I just went through the steps again to make sure everything was right. This is with wine 1.2 and Ubuntu 10.04.

1. Install IE6 and gecko (I forgot gecko the first run through and IE8 didn't work right even after I installed gecko after IE8 so I suggest installing it at this point) via "winetricks gecko ie6"

2. Install IE8 via "winetricks ie8" opting to not participate for the first option and unchecking the box to install updates.

3. Create these DLL overrides:

" browseui="native, builtin"
"crypt32"="native, builtin"
"gdiplus"="native"
"hhctrl.ocx"="native, builtin"
"hlink"="native, builtin"
"iernonce"="native, builtin"
"msxml3"="native,builtin"
"riched20"="native,builtin"
"riched32"="native,builtin"
"secur32"="native, builtin"
"url"="native, builtin"
"usp10"="native, builtin"
"uxtheme"="native,builtin"
"wininet"="builtin"
"wintrust"="native, builtin"

(these are the DLLs from http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-reviews/microsoft/internet-explorer-8-on-linux-with-wine.html that haven't already been overridden)

Not sure if all of these really need to be overridden, further testing would prove which actually affect IE8 working.

4. Go to ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Internet\ Explorer/ and change IEXPLORE.EXE to IEXPLORE.EXE.old and iexplore.exe.bak to iexplore.exe.

These steps should leave you with a fairly running IE8 in wine. The URL and search bars don't work. They give an "Error: Invalid parameter" error whenever they are used. The other tooldbar buttons, such as favorites and history, don't work either. Not sure on the specifics of what else works/doesn't work but you can go to Internet Options and change your homepage to google and navigate like that.

The URL problem is a significant one for my testing purposes so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd much appreciate it!

Well I hope this was helpful and if you need any more information, please feel free to ask. Also, it's nice to see the script maintainer lurking around the forums!