[Wine] Steam Games on OSX

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Wed Aug 25 17:22:56 CDT 2010

On 8/25/10 3:56 PM, computerfreak wrote:
> Charles Davis wrote:
>>
>> Why would you want to do that when Steam supports Mac OS X natively?
>>

> Because the MB only has gma 950 graphics.
And this matters how?

Personally, I think you'll get better performance running the Mac
version than the Windows version. With the Windows version, you have the
overhead of Wine's Direct3D implementation. Native Direct3D (or DirectX
in general) won't work under Wine, because Mac OS X just won't support it.

Besides, Apple uses some tricks to make graphics perform better with
weaker chips like the GMA 950. You should be fine with the Mac version.

Chip