[Wine] Re: Wine distro with MS WOS look and feel

DaVince wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Aug 27 13:37:44 CDT 2010

mitcoes wrote:
> i think that if a distribution with MS WOS XP and 7 look and feel based on Gnome and Ubuntu or debian is released a lot of people would migrate.
>
> People is comdortable with what they know, even Gnome is easy to use, they like Control panel, Documents and Settings and Start vuttons from MS WOS.

While Linux is fundamentally different in some locations, distros like Ubuntu try their hardest to make it as easy as possible to migrate. Do we really need to look like Windows? Let's analyze:

> an start button with a control panel, My documents and so one, where Linux programs should be and If you want to install a program for wine it will put the icon in the desktop and programs fordelrs. A Linux running, but very little diference between using XP or 7 for users.

What do you mean here? The Gnome menu does all of this - it has three separate menus for applications, places and system tools, and it puts Wine apps in Applications->Wine... This can't be made much easier.

By the way, you can make application shortcuts on the desktop. In fact, Wine even does this.

> Of course a differnt add/remove programs for linux and wine in the control panel, but a non traumatic experience for lamers should be a great advance for this project.

Isn't add/remove already as easy to use as possible? It's well-categorized, puts the best suggestions on top, gives you a lot of information and sometimes screenshots for each program, and more secure than downloading the software from an external site to boot. Of course, "user friendliness" is in the eye of the beholder, but seriously, the way the software tool is right now, does it really warrant an overhaul?

> Of course a My PC with virtual units, that, in my opinion should be in a /home partition, and with a D: for the CD -rom, E for programa files, and F for My documents and Program data for a good experience in a long term upgrade install.

You mean like the "Computer" option in the Places menu in Gnome? Because that shows all your disks in a row, including CD-ROM devices. Mapping to drive letters is a bad idea as there is never enough certainty that D: is still the same when you connect more than one disk (external harddrives, USB disks etc). Gnome automounts each device with its label name (or an unique ID if there is none), which gives the certainty to the user that (for example) /media/mydisk IS, in fact, the drive they expected it to be.

But speaking of this, the Eee PC had this; that is, it symlinked drive letters in the user's home directory for each connected device. It really didn't work very well because of the above stated problem.

While I realize it takes some time for a Windows user to get used to the differences, you're just suggesting completely unnecessary changes here.