[Wine] Windows Media Player Crashes

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Thu Dec 2 03:13:44 CST 2010

On 2010-11-30 (November, Tuesday) 08:11:27 osearcy4 wrote:
> Reason I'm trying to use WMP is to play blu ray files, not the disc but
> files .mkv, i tried many other programs like gnome and vlc but they all
> play really choppy and freeze sometimes when i'm watching 1080p movies.

	Using non-native application to solve this problem is wrong and will lead
to problems and in most cases not perfect performance.

	What you should do is to use a native player with vdpau support for
playing 1080p movies in Linux (and of course your video card must support
vdpau; fortunately any modern GeForce have this support: GeForce 8 and higher).
Personally I recommend mplayer ( http://mplayerhq.hu ), it is better to use
latest SVN snapshot; it includes support for blu-ray disks as well in case you
need it. Or you can use any other native Linux player with vdpau support (BTW,
vlc does not support vdpau as far as I know so it isn't very good at playing
1080p movies; look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU#Software_supporting_VDPAU
for a list of software capable of using vdpau).

	If you need assistance with using mplayer, you can ask me for help
privately (because it's offtopic in this forum). If you have problem with other
player, ask for help on their forum/mailing list. If your video card does not
support vdpau, buy better card from NVidia; vdpau is the way to utilize GPU for
watching movies, it gives much better performance than using CPU.