[Wine] Re: Playonlinux and Office 2007

oiaohm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Dec 2 20:28:18 CST 2010

winefan62 "dependencies and any reg"  These modifications are the problem they can cause failure to run when application should run perfectly without them.

I am regularly telling people off for over using winetricks as well.  Only install what you need for the program no more.

Before a bug is reported to wine a few things need to happen.  Maybe you can clean POL up so it does what we need.

Number 1 running wine without any alterations with the application.   Then add each alteration as the wine errors show its need.   This process could be made automated to detect when fixes are no longer required so no longer apply them.  Problem of POL it is straight up install the lot and pray.  This is over installing leading to POL failures that don't happen when you follow the proper install patern of only installing what is required nothing more.

Some case the issue is wine has added support for X lib and now MS binary of that lib and wine own version are fighting.   So automated installs can cause failures by installing parts that are no longer wine compatible or required.

Basically POL gets treated the same as people who abuse winetricks.

Also AppDB code patches are invalid in fact.   All code patches should be in the bugzilla.    Really all alterations in the guides in appdb really should have a bug number explain it.  Yes lot of maintainers in the appdb are sloppy.   POL is using instructions that are not correctly backed either.

I like when people say POL is exactly the same a winetricks.   Winetricks is bundled as a huge single script to make script updating simple.    Winetricks takes regular updates to stay working.

Basically its bull crap to say POL does the same as winetricks.   POL scripts normally do the same as a old out of date version of winetricks that has been updated due to issues caused by wine functionally increasing.  So there are a lot of POL failures that trace to there scripts being old and out of date compared to current winetricks.

Really it would be better of POL dumped all there own scripts and just used winetricks todo the job with auto updating from winetricks.   That way it would truly be exactly the same.

POL is doing the wrong things for us to be able to support them.   Install process is rushed so required steps are skilled for diagnostics.

winefan62 problem is POL is short minded.  They have only cared about getting the applications to run.  Not having automated diagnostics to help when they don't.  So we can get the diagnostic information we need from systems we know work.  Person has to go back to manual install.

Yes we saying we don't support it because it don't help us working out the problem.

Yes I would love to see POL and us giving support be able to be friends but that can not happen until POL starts adding systems to help people through the error diagnostic process.

Yes the person coming in say I installing in POL now fix really is just annoying because they will not in most cases do the manual install we require.   Since they will not do what we want.  POL needs to create a way for those people todo our test pattern and give us our data in a way they will not notice.