[Wine] Playonlinux and Office 2007

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 3 12:52:16 CST 2010

winefan62 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

>DanKegel wrote:
>> By the way, I'm chatting with the author of PlayOnLinux about
>> improving relations between the two projects.  A few guidelines
>> about how to report bugs to winehq will probably go a long way.
>> As a start, I'm stepping him through how to do vanilla wine
>> bug reports.  Hopefully once he has some experience with how we
>> do things, he can spread the word.

Please stop flogging a dead horse.  We don't accept bugs reported from POL USERS.

>1-POL already use Vanilla wine, builded from official sources, no modification.

Bull.  They patch it using patches found in either the Applications Database OR Wine Bugzilla.  Neither of these are offical patch sources.  Using such patches results in an unsupported Wine configuration.  The biggest of these is associated with Bug 421 (Incorporate DIB engine in Wine.)

>2-A child can reproduce POL script with wine+winetricks ince POl functions are the SAME as winetricks do but instead of a
>monolithic monster with 90£ useless functions (for a gamer), they use small simple usefull functions like nstalling d3dx9
>dlls or dotnet or vcrun...only th usefull part of winetricks (again, for a gamer).

Winetricks is for all Wine users, not just gamers.  Dan probably can figure out what parts of POL to pull and incorporate into Winetricks V2 (he has been working on this), so that you can select a program name and the appropriate externals can be incorporated.  Maybe he can even (hint, hint, hint) into specific Wine Prefixes for each program.

>3-POL use tips/tweaks/modifications reported on AppDB tests and AppDB tests only to make the game WORKING, like disabling
>hardware cursor for Kotor, ect...So arguing about modifications (not you Dan) is ridiculous.
Again, these are called hacks and just cover up what is wrong with Wine's code.  This is also called a "modification" in the broad sense of the use of the word.

>4-POL v4 will use full python language for scripts, no more bash code you wil definitly don't want tests from it.

This will move POL further away from Wine's code.

Again, if you have a problem using POL, report it there.  Reporting it here, in the future will result in a topic lockout.

James McKenzie