[Wine] ATI FireGL v5200 and Guild Wars

jensoko wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Dec 5 15:28:23 CST 2010

I'm at my wit's end here. I have an IBM T60p with an ATI FireGL v5200 graphics card, I'm running kubuntu 10.04, and the radeon open source drivers for the graphics card. 3D works great when I run glxgears. I can even use wine to open Guild Wars--the login screen works great. The character select screen works wonderfully. The actual game...looks like something the cat yakked up. I get a completely white screen, with only bright red, yellow, and black edges. As if someone took the background or the pictures and posterized them.  The UI overlays look and work fine, as does the full screen travel map. I can see character names, and even player dialogues. Just not the toons or the backgrounds.

All the searching I've done seems to indicate that this particular card fell through the cracks--that it's not supported by the ATI linux drivers--in fact, it really seems like ATI is hoping it just dies in a fire somewhere. ATI cards don't seem too popular with Wine anyway...am I left with no other recourse, then?

Anyone with any help, tips, or pointers has my deepest thanks.

Jen