[Wine] games through wine not detecting video card consistently

tparker tparker at etherstorm.net
Mon Dec 6 15:21:37 CST 2010

When trying to play games through wine my video card is not being
detected correctly and/or consistently. In Star trek Online I get a box
after game launch telling me that I have failed a systems check because
I am using an unsupported video card. The box gives me the choice of
trying the default settings or lowest settings or quitting the game.  In
World of Warcraft the video options in game are continually changing for
me, the generic slide bar for video settings will not go above it's
lowest option, but the drop down boxes for specific settings default to
higher video choices and what is selected in those drop downs is
different each time I launch the game. Lord of the Rings Online does the
same thing as WoW - changing the settings each launch, sometimes telling
me my computer can not use a higher setting and then selecting that
higher setting itself the next launch.

system:
wine 1.3.8
video card: nvidia 460 gtx
video driver: nvidia 260.19.12
linux distro: Fedora 13, 32 bit, pae kernel.