[Wine] Separate isolated instances of programs

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Dec 8 18:05:31 CST 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 17:47 -0600, fernandocarvalho wrote:
> I think that if you use separate Wine prefixes you can isolate programs.
> To do this, just type this on the terminal:
>
> WINEPREFIX="<name of some clean folder for the prefix>" wine <name of the program>

However, remember that some Windows programs diddle with the registry
and/or assume they are the only program using data files. Both
conditions will be breached if more than one person logs in as the same
user and both try to run the Wine app. If this is even a remote
possibility, you need to make sure the login user has scripts, etc. that
make sure that only one person can use the Wine app at a time.

Wine is essentially a shim that accepts system calls from the Windows
app its running and issues equivalent system calls to Linux before
reversing the process and returning results to the app in a form it can
understand. IOW it can't and won't allow several people to safely run a
single copy of a Windows App unless a single copy of app can be used by
many people at once under Windows.

Martin