[Wine] How to recompile Wine on ARM

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 10 08:04:49 CST 2010

eyedasan <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

>Hi Vitamin,
>
>After compiling the wine to ARM, can we able to run the windows exe directly or we need the Source of that particular
>windows application?

I'm not vitamin, but most (if not all) Windows applications are written and compiled for the following:

x86 processor architecture.
640x480 or larger screen size.

Thus you might need an x86 emulator and a larger screen.  I'm not all that familiar with the internal workings of the ARM processor to know if it comes with a hardware emulator (best solution) or if a software emulator (worst solution) is needed.

The same is true for the PowerPC (PPC/G3/G4/G5) family of processors.

There may be some Windows CE applications that are compiled to run on the ARM architecture, but I'm not aware of any.

James McKenzie