[Wine] How To Run VB6 Appliactions with SQL Server 2000 at back end

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Fri Dec 10 11:10:17 CST 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-10 at 10:30 -0600, ssamir wrote:
> Dear friends we have a Windows 2003 network. I want to run VB6
> Applications in Ubuntu 10.10 under Wine. So far I have managed to run
> the Application by running the exe of the application through Wine but
> the application cannot access the database which is SQL-Server 2000
> and this SQL server is running on Win2003 Operating system and the
> name of this machine is "webserver" and its ip is 192.168.41.87.

Check these points and fix any which you can't answer 'yes' to.

1) Are you sure that SQL Server is running?

2) Do you know what port SQL Server is listening on?

3) Is SQL Server configured to listen for network connections, not
   just those from localhost?

4) Are you sure that there is no firewall blocking that port on
   'webserver'?

5) Can the Ubuntu host ping 'webserver'?

6) Run the command "nmap webserver". Does it show that SQL Server
   is listening on the port you expect it to listen on?

7) Is the VB6 app configured to contact SQL Server on 'webserver'
   using that port?

Martin